The Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Home Energy and Water Saving Toolkits are stocked with energy and water saving supplies that can help measure how much energy or water is being consumed in the home and make easy upgrades to your home to help save money on your utility bills.
Just like a book, the toolkits can be checked out from participating Sonoma County Libraries for three weeks!
Each DIY toolkit comes with a copy of a Home Energy and Water Savings Guidebook to help you through each upgrade step and provide additional saving tips. A copy is available to view on the right!
For You To Keep: Each toolkit comes with energy and water saving supplies for you to keep like:
- 9W dimmable LED lightbulbs to upgrade your home’s lighting (60-watt equivalent);
- Weather stripping to seal leaks in windows and doors for a more comfortable home;
- Outlet and light switch insulation gaskets to help maintain a comfortable temperature in the home and stop any leaks in outlets and switches;
- Low-flow shower heads and faucet aerators to help you save water;
- Water leak detection tablets to help you detect water leaks in the toilet;
- Water flow rate bag to measure the rate of water flow in faucets and showers to detect that they are water efficient.
To Be Returned: The toolkits also include energy measuring devices and tools that need to be returned like:
- Kill-a-Watt meter to measure which appliances or devices use the most energy in your home;
- Infrared laser thermometer to detect trouble areas where heat is being lost in the winter or gained in the summer;
- Refrigerator Thermometer to monitor the temperature in your fridge or freezer and make sure it’s working properly and efficiently;
- Hot water thermometer to check if the temperature of your hot water and make sure the water heater is working efficiently;
- Pliers to help replace old faucet aerators and showerheads;
- Pipe thread seal tape (plumber’s tape) to prevent leaks in your faucets or showerheads (if needed).
Check out the toolkits and start saving energy and water!
Toolkits are available to all library cardholders! There are currently eleven (11) toolkits available at the following Sonoma County Libraries only:
- Guerneville Regional Library (14107 Armstrong Woods Rd, Guerneville, CA, 95446)
- Sebastopol Regional Library (7140 Bodega Ave, Sebastopol, CA, 95472)
- Central Santa Rosa Library (211 E Street, Santa Rosa, CA, 95404)
Check with one of the participating libraries for more information on a potential waitlist.
Starting in Fall 2017, the program will expand to include a total of thirty (30) toolkits available for all library cardholders!
The Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Home Energy and Water Saving Toolkit Program is a partnership program between Sonoma Clean Power, the Sonoma County Water Agency, the County of Sonoma Energy and Sustainability Division, and the Sonoma County Library. For more information, contact email@example.com or call 1 (855) 202-2139.